Posted by Paul Davey at 13/10/2016 12:27:52
The NHS, social care and public health in Kent and Medway are working together to plan how we will transform health and social care services to meet the changing needs of local people. It is the first time we have all worked together in this way and it gives us a unique opportunity to bring about positive and genuine improvement in health and social care delivery over the next five years.
We are developing a Health and Social Care Sustainability and Transformation Plan (STP) that will set out how we think services need to change over the next five years to achieve the right care for people for decades to come. It will help us deliver the Five Year Forward View, which sets out the national vision for health and social care. We will only be able to decide on and implement any changes following a period of engagement and consultation with our communities – this is just the start of the process.
We need to do this because our current health and social care system isn’t set up to meet the needs of today’s population. Many more people are living longer – which is great – but they want and need a different kind of care.
Although most people get good care most of the time, services are not always good enough, too many people wait too long for treatment and we can’t recruit enough staff. So, first and foremost, we need to design services that improve services for our patients. At the same time, we are facing a big financial problem. Across Kent and Medway, health and social care have £3.4billion in funding but overspent by £141million last year. Without change, we will be looking at a hole of £485million in our budgets by 2020/21.
The plan will provide:
- better health and wellbeing
- better standards of care
- better use of staff and funds
Our pledge to you
We want to get this right, and we know that we need your views to help us do that.
So we will use all the means at our disposal to involve patients, carers, the public and health and care professionals, at every stage.
At the appropriate time, there will be full public consultation about any substantial changes proposed but, first, we want to ask you to help us shape our ideas and plans.
Please get involved
Please spare the time to get involved – we need to hear from as many people as possible to get this right for the whole community.
Find out more and have your say
- Glenn Douglas - Senior Responsible Officer for the Kent and Medway Health and Social Care Sustainability and Transformation Plan and Chief Executive of Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
- Susan Acott - Chief Executive, Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust
- Dr Fiona Armstrong - Clinical Chair, NHS Swale Clinical Commissioning Group
- Ian Ayres - Accountable Officer, NHS West Kent Clinical Commissioning Group
- Paul Bentley - Chief Executive, Kent Community Health NHS Foundation Trust
- Dr Bob Bowes - Clinical Chair, NHS West Kent Clinical Commissioning Group
- Councillor David Brake - Chair, Medway Health and Wellbeing Board
- Dr Jonathan Bryant - Clinical Chair, NHS South Kent Coast Clinical Commissioning Group
- Dr Andrew Burnett - Interim Director for Public Health Medway
- Hazel Carpenter - Accountable Officer, NHS South Kent Coast and NHS Thanet Clinical Commissioning Groups
- Paul Carter CBE - Leader, Kent County Council
- Andrew Scott-Clark - Director of Public Health Kent
- Geraint Davies - Acting Chief Executive, South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust
- Patricia Davies - Accountable Officer, NHS Dartford, Gravesham and Swanley and Swale Clinical Commissioning Groups
- Lesley Dwyer - Chief Executive, Medway NHS Foundation Trust
- Steve Emerton - Programme Director Specialised Commissioning, NHS England South East
- Dr Peter Green - Clinical Chair, NHS Medway Clinical Commissioning Group
- Roger Gough - Chair, Kent Health and Wellbeing Board
- Helen Greatorex - Chief Executive, Kent and Medway NHS and Social Care Partnership
- Andrew Ireland - Corporate Director of Social Care, Health and Wellbeing, Kent County Council
- Councillor Alan Jarrett - Leader, Medway Council
- Bart Johnson - Chief Executive, Virgin Care
- Matthew Kershaw - Chief Executive, East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust
- Dr Navin Kumta - Clinical Chair, NHS Ashford Clinical Commissioning Group
- Dr Elizabeth Lunt - Clinical Chair, NHS Dartford Gravesham and Swanley Clinical Commissioning Group
- Dr Tony Martin - Clinical Chair, NHS Thanet Clinical Commissioning Group
- Simon Perks - Accountable Officer, NHS Ashford and NHS Canterbury and Coastal Clinical Commissioning Groups
- Dr Sarah Phillips - Clinical Chair, NHS Canterbury and Coastal Clinical Commissioning Group
- Caroline Selkirk - Accountable Officer, NHS Medway Clinical Commissioning Group
- Philippa Spicer - Director, Health Education Kent Surrey Sussex
- Ian Sutherland - Interim Director, Children and Adult Services, Medway Council